Wednesday 7 January 2009

Achievement!

Today, I stayed in and got stuff done. Finally, I have finished and sent off my assignments, with a day to spare. I don't think that I will do very well on either of them, but at least I've got them out of the way. I did my standard thing: panic for days, then sit down and prevaricate, and then finally get down to it, read the materials, and whack out a continuous stream of pretentious bollocks which may possibly bear some relation to the task. I have no idea what I actually wrote. It's almost like automatic writing. I don't do the work, I am merely the vessel for some bizarre spirit of undead faux-intellectualism.

Much more amusing than possessed essay writing is the fact that I finally managed to play Fallout 3, which is a great game. I usually have a 'no stupid gun game' policy, but this bears enough resemblance to Oblivion to get away with it, and has a pretty neat targeting system that allows messy decapitations galore. It is so satisfying to see somebody's head explode in a shower of blood, bone and brain fragments, as their body collapses, still spraying arcs of blood across the walls. Yes, antisocial gaming here we go. And yes, I have not got very far, but this looks to be almost as addictive as Oblivion, which has taken uncountable hours of my life so far. So yes, if I disappear for a while, I'm (probably) not dead, I'm just playing Xbox 360.

And now for more achievements: I got my books for my German course today. This is a course which follows on from high grade GCSE level, and will possibly be quite difficult. With an arts course, it is easy to wing it, you just write standard essay-garble and hope for the best, but with languages, if you don't know the grammar and vocabulary, then there's no way to hide it. So yes, I will have to actually do some work.

There were some other achievements somewhere too. Ah, yes. I have started successfully working my way through Guitar Hero World Tour on hard, which means that I now count myself as able to play it. There is way too much gaming related news today. I need to do some stuff in real life. Ah well, tomorrow I will be going outside, to see many people and get horrifically drunk to celebrate Tom's birthday. The insane five day weekend starts now.

No comments: