Monday 5 January 2009

(Orthodox Church's) New Year's Resolutions

Well, my first set of official resolutions (#1 no random drinking) have all failed. But as it's only the 5th of January, I still have plenty of time to start again. And again, if I fail. I still have many more festivals which I can use as an excuse.

I found these on Earth Calendar: Epiphany (7th Jan), Balloon Ascension Day (9th), International Thankyou Day (11th), Orthodox New Year (14th), Azerbaijan's Day of Sorrow (20th), OK this is getting really silly. But that calendar is brilliant. Did you know, my birthday falls on Rosh Hashanah this year? That's the Jewish New Year, so even if I fail until then, I can still make a new start.

In fact, I am practically guaranteed to fail, as resolutions are stupid, and the way to make lasting changes is to gradually incorporate them into your life.
Still, I persist, as it makes me feel like I am becoming a better person. Newish Year/Nonspecific Festival's Resolutions:
  • Not get wasted without good reason. And no, "I was bored" or "It was there" are not good reasons.
  • Eat healthily. Meals of fruit, vegetables and protein. Refined sugars should not be the main part of my diet.
  • Keep my room in a habitable state. If I have to transfer stuff to the bed or floor in order to walk/type/sleep, then it needs tidying.
  • Take some kind of exercise each day. Guitar Hero and missions to town both count.
  • Each day, make a little bit of time to draw, write, and read. Regrow a few braincells.
There may be more. Or, if they prove impossible, I may change some of them. You never know, by Towel Day (May 25th), I may have been so successful that there will be room for more.

No comments: